Miss Representation: Self Objectification


        I began worrying about my weight at 8 years old. Now I'm nearly 16 and still worrying about my weight years later. I remember being much younger and watching America's Next Top Model on TV. I would watch that show religiously. Those women were everything I aspired to be. Skinny and tall. I already had the tall part down even as a little girl. However, being skinny was the next thing I needed to achieve. Counting calories, weighing myself two times a day, excessive exercising, every diet trick in the book, and laxatives; these were the things which I lived and breathed. I ate less than 400 calories a day for two months. As the pounds began to fall off, so did my hair. I was always cold. I stopped getting my period. The thought of food consumed my mind constantly. Shockingly, I was being complimented more than ever. I was the sickest I had ever felt and yet strangers would stop me on the streets to say a kind word. This just motivated me more, so I continued. I was only 11 years old and I had lost 35 pounds in two months. I had become dangerously underweight in such a short period of time. The most terrible part was that I was happy and even proud of what I had done to myself.
     It is clear that I have recovered since then. I eat like a normal person now and am at a healthy weight. Its all good now. However, that was something which a girl as young as I was should have never gone through. I am sure that many have the same experience as me, and it is sickening. And I did all that, for what? To look like a tall, skinny model, just like in the TV show. This is an example of the media's effect on young girls. This TV show pins women against each other based on their appearance. It is basically a contest of who is the prettiest or who has the nicest body. Media such as this puts all the worth of a woman into her appearance. This leads to many girls, such as I, to objectify themselves and put all self esteem into how they look. The definition of self objectification is to see oneself as an object rather than a human being. Media sending these messages of unrealistic body standards causes this in women. We compare ourselves to the images of these women and cognitive dissonance is created. All of our self worth is put into how much we resemble these women and we cease to see ourselves as anything more.









Comments

  1. I agree, media seems to just care about women's bodies but does not put any worth on their heart or mind. The media needs to teach that there's more to a girl than just being pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed. The media has a tendency to create a sort of template for what is expected of certain groups of people and it's extremely harmful, especially when the expectations are unrealistically high and, in this case, unhealthy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I definitely agree. The fact that just some pictures or shows that young children see, that is probably heavily edited, people are wearing pounds of makeup ,and have preparing on extreme diets and workouts on that day for whatever photo or show that is being filmed. This is so dangerous since it just implicates minds of especially girls with unrealistic beauty standards.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I completely agree. I feel like most people have heard stories about young girls and women who were anorexic, but they just shrug it off and mind their own business. What they don't know is how media is the root cause of all of this, and the way women are portrayed through media influences young girls - and even grown women's - minds. It's sad that these unrealistic standards promoted through media cause health issues and wavering confidence in girls.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Firstly I want to tell you that you’re absolutely beautiful!! (I’m saying this in a not creepy way) But I also completely agree. I feel that these types of shows not only perpetuate unhealthy beauty standards for women, but that they also do the same for men. Boys grow watching these shows expecting women to look exactly like these pretty, tall and skinny MODELS. Normal, everyday women come in all shapes and sizes and by setting these standards it’s not only giving girls self-esteem issues, but also giving boys expectations on how women should look; this further perpetuating these non-inclusive standards of beauty.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Lovemarks in my own life: Disney

Tall Girl