Data Mining in Our Every Day Lives

 


        Over holiday break, I was searching skincare to put on my Christmas list for my dad. I merely searched the brand Curology up on my laptop. Lo and behold, Curology ads where showing up in my instagram feed for the next week.  I found this a little bit creepy and invasive. This is an example of a marketing technique called data mining.  Data mining is when coorperations market to an individual specifically based on their data and past searches on the internet. Basically, instagram knew that I was searching up Curology on my computer and thus presented their ad to me to create a higher chance of gaining profit. This is present in our everyday lives whether we know it or not.
        A side of data mining which I don't really understand is that the ads pop up even when you don't interact with anything of the sorts online. For example, there are times that I will be thinking of something or a product and the next time I open instagram, there is advertisement for the product. Another time, I was having a conversation with my mom and I asked her the question, "Do you think cat's dream?" Neither of us knew the answer to this question so I decided to look it up on google. As soon as I typed in "Do" on the search bar, the first suggested search was "Do cats dream?" I don't know if instances like this are weird data mining or just coincidence and syncronicity. It is far fetched and creepy either way.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lovemarks in my own life: Disney

Tall Girl

Miss Representation: Self Objectification