Lovemarks in my own life: Disney

         A lovemark is a brand or product which has created undeniable loyalty in it's consumers. Although I do not like to admit it, Disney is a lovemark in my life. It began when I was very young. I would watch Pocahontas and Mulan nearly every single day. That was wear it started. Even now, when I hear the Disney opening theme, my heart warms. I associate it with all my great memories of childhood. Today, as soon as a new princess movie comes out, I go to the theatres to see it despite the quality of the movie beings  poor. Disney is so much of a lovemark in my life that despite knowing all the problematic things associated with Disney, it still has a special place in my heart. I am fully aware about the messages about body image, race, gender roles and the unrealistic expectations is gives little children yet still I love Disney.
       I don't think I am alone in this. Many young girls and even older women much like I still know every single Disney song by heart. These are the songs that we will sing to our children and teach them too. I was one of those little girls who showed up to the park dressed like princess Aurora and my children will probably end up doing that too. Something that I took away from the documentary we watched in class and my own personal experience is that lovemarks are somewhat unavoidable. They are everywhere. It may sound pessimistic but that"s just what I think. Thanks for listening :)

Comments

  1. I definitely feel the same way about your connection between lovemarks and Disneyland. Ever since a young age, I have had the same warm sensation in my heart when I go to Disneyland or to a Disney movie and I think that it has a large part to do with lovemarks. Even though Disney glorifies love and the messages that they send to the "youth" such as race and physique, I still experience that same childhood warming feeling. Interesting ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Liz! I completely agree that Disney has become a lovemark in a lot of people's lives, including my own. When I think of my childhood, I usually think of the Disney princess movies. Disney is pretty problematic but I still connect their movies with happiness and nostalgia.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also wrote about Disney for this assignment. It's a smart business idea to appeal to certain groups such as families or children. Love marks have allowed Disney to grow into one of the largest companies today.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wrote something similar about Universal Studios and I noticed how they have both tried to make us trust them as more than just a company.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Liz! I definitely agree with you; Disney has become a lovemark for many people. (Including myself!) One thing I noticed is how the fact that Disney is a lovemark for many people relates to the advertising technique "bandwagon." Since Disney has become a cherished brand in so many people's lives, others feel inclined to like it too. If they didn't, then they would feel left out.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Tall Girl

Miss Representation: Self Objectification